Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Duathlon - Event 11

I'm feeling pretty good about where we are in the 50at50 Project, although I'd like to be further ahead.  This weekend makes ten weeks into this crazy goal and yesterday we completed Event 11, the Spring Classic Duathlon.  This was a run-bike-run event, at distances of 5k-15 miles-5k, respectively.  Other than the snowshoe race in January, this was the first event (of several to come in the next couple of months) that I felt would really push the limits.  The distances themselves are not a problem.  I can run the 5k - hell, even the combined runs at 10k total - and feel good.  And biking 15 miles is easy enough.  It's the combination that makes this difficult. 

I embarked on this challenge to better myself.  I knew it would get us out and active, and it is doing just that.  I also knew that most of the events would, naturally, be runs and rides.  The thing to keep in mind is that I am not built for either.  Yes, I've completed four full marathons, numerous half-marathons, 10k's, 5k's; multi-day road bike rides, scrambles, trail runs, mountain bike rides - and don't forget the aforementioned snowshoe race.  But if you look at the physique of a 'typical' biker or a 'typical' runner, I ain't it.  What I do have is the ambition and the initiative and the guts to get out there to participate.  

While I'm sure I'll never win an event like this, I look at it like this:  there are about 750,000 people in the Portland metropolitan area and only 268 of them participated in the Spring Classic Duathlon.
I was one of them.  
Camera Crew was one of them.  
My sister, Susan, was one of them - AND she placed third in her division.  
And two good friends - Kathy C. and Sebastian P. - did the event, as well.  
This group accounted for almost 2% of the total number of participants! 

It was a gorgeous day - blue skies, warm temperatures, very light breeze.  I had scouted the location of the event earlier in the week so knew right where we were headed.  The parking lot was pretty full but we got a nice spot.  In fact, about 5 minutes after we got there, vehicles were lined up out to the road trying to find a place to park!  As they say, timing is everything.  CC and I walked to the start area and scoped out the transition staging compound.  I say 'compound' because the way the security guy was acting, I was worried I needed my passport and would get strip searched to be allowed access.  Truth be told, it's good to see this level of security at events, especially when there are some very expensive bikes and equipment involved!!  

After milling around a bit, we went back to the SUV, got the bikes and our other gear, and headed to the staging area.  In a duathlon there are two 'transitions' that take place: one occurs after the first run, when you switch to your bike gear; the second when you're done biking and change back to run the last leg of the event.  The idea is to lay your bike gear out in such a fashion that you can run into the transition area, pull your running shoes off/pull the bike shoes on (in my case, Keen bike sandals), get the helmet, bike gloves, sunglasses, grab the bike and go.  You must run your bike out of the transition area to the point at which it's legal to mount your bike and take off.  Lots of rules and such.
When the bike ride is finished, you have to dismount prior to entering the transition area, run your bike to the rack, change back to running gear and take off for the final leg.  

The pros will tell you that the time spent in transitions in a duathlon or triathlon can be the difference between winning and losing.  Me, I was about 2:39 (minutes, not hours) on my first transition and 3:36 on my second.  Meh.

Funny story:  As mentioned above, my sister placed third in her division but on her first transition - to bike - she tried to put her helmet on.  At about the exact same instant the straps didn't buckle she remembered her daughter had worn it last.  So she had to quickly adjust the fit and boogie out.  (snicker)

I should talk.  I had my things all laid out nicely, ready to go.  Included in my bike stuff were two energy gels and some Clif Shot Blocks (think gummy bears on 'roids).  Since eating while running is more challenging for me, I had planned to take them on the bike and juice up during the ride to carry me through.  Except I took off and left it all there.  D'oh!  My second transition was slowed down because I took the time to inhale a gel and chomp on a couple of shot blocks.  Oh well - next time I'll get it right.

I can say with confidence that there is no weirder feeling than transitioning from biking to running.  After being on the bike for 54 minutes, then switching to running shoes and heading out for another 5k, the legs don't feel like they're the ones you had before!  They don't respond and feel rubbery because the blood flow is now different and completely different muscles are being called into use.  It took about a mile or so before my gait felt normal, even though I'm sure it didn't look quite right - somewhere between Frankenstein and the Mummy.  
"Mommy, what's wrong with that man?"  "Honey, it's not polite to stare."

During all of this - the hurt and the sweat and the hard work - I'm pretty sure I smiled a fair amount.  I love seeing Camera Crew on the course during events!  Plus I saw my sister and other friends along the way, each of us shouting encouragement to the other.  Mt. Hood was there in all its' snow covered beauty and the course took us along the Columbia River.  It was pretty fantastic!

We also had a cheering section!  My other sister, Pat, as well as Susan's hubby, Doug and their kids - Griffin, Julienne and Ian - were rooting for us every time we passed by.  It's always good to know that people are supporting us in these races, but even better when they take the time to come out and cheer.  And it truly warmed my heart to hear Julienne and Ian shouting 'Go, Aunt Bex!  Go, Aunt Bex!"

After finishing, the post-race euphoria hit and we all hung out for a bit, discussing the race, our transitions and when can we do the next one!  Methinks my sis is hooked on the multi-sport thing.  All in all, a great day!!  Camera Crew and I had a beer and visited with some folks, then loaded up for the drive home.  Lugging bikes and gear and the bike rack back upstairs should have counted as another event!  Food and a couple of drinks at the Pope House made us feel much better.  

Next up:  Event 12 next weekend, the Bridge to Brews 10k!  See ya!!


2 comments:

  1. Was a beautiful day. Yah, it warmed my heart to hear the kids chanting, Go Uncle Dave and then Go Aunt Bex! So fun to do the event with friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are generating fun and memories at a great rate. SOOO fun to read up on your activities.

    ReplyDelete