Wednesday, March 6, 2013

My apologies!

I am SO sorry!  Yes, yes - I know there was a 50at50 Project event last Sunday and I know I haven't yet posted anything about it and I know how much that hurts your feelings.  I've been very busy.  I hope we can get move forward now, and just forget the whole thing happened.

Okay?  Okay.

Event 8 in the 50at50 Project was the Red Lizard 5 Miler, held in Lake Oswego.  We were met by yet another chilly morning, with the threat of rain looming in the sky.  Although Foot Traffic has four locations around the PDX metro area, this appeared to be another small 'community' run.  Bigger than last weeks' Hazel Dell 8k but only about 100 runners doing this thing.  Temps in the high 30's again had us guessing and second-guessing what to wear.  After last week, I decided on shorts and a short-sleeve running shirt.  No gloves, no skull cap.  No problem!

What's that?  Haha!  Yes, I wore shoes and socks, too.  Are you going to be snarky through this whole post?  I apologized - let it go already!

They ran a 1k race for kids prior to ours.  I lined up against the 6 shorties and had them pretty darn nervous.  Yeah, they knew I could smoke 'em.  My mom raised a nice boy, however, and I backed out at the last minute.  You're welcome.

The five mile course started near the Foot Traffic store on State Street, the main LO drag, then quickly dropped down to Old River Road in George Rogers Park.  I would tell you more about George Rogers the Man but when Googled, the first several pages that pop up just have info about the park named after him and I don't feel like digging.  Suffice it to say that A] he lived in Lake Oswego; B] he was rich; C] he was a nice guy; D] he donated the 26 acres for the park; E] they named it after him.  Thus endeth the history lesson. 

Very pretty area, lots of old homes and quiet streets.  And hills.  Did I mention the hills?  Nothing bad, other than one wall-like scramble at the 3.5 mile mark.  Oy. 
We set a pretty good pace and enjoyed the scenery, finished in 1:01, which is about three minutes faster than we did the Hazel Dell run the week before.  Feeling pretty good about that, actually.  Good run, and finished just in time - rain.  Near the park entrance - we noticed this walking back to the car after the run - on a residential corner, there is the cutest little book exchange kiosk.  More like a small cabinet with a glass door, and mounted on a post.  It held maybe 20-25 books - take a book, leave a book.  Pretty cool idea.  It started raining a wee bit harder as we walked back to the SUV.

Next up, this weekend, a 50at50 Project first:  a split event, with me running the Buck Mountain Mudslinger 6.5 Miler and Bex! in San Diego participating with her family in a scavenger hunt race.  So, Event 9A and Event 9B, if you will.  I've instructed Camera Crew to get video and make it fun.  We'll compile it all when she is back in town and get 'er posted.

What?  Yes, of course - we'll try to get to it a little faster this time around.  Geez.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, your public has been clamoring for news.

    "Portland’s first known community lending library at Southeast Ninth Avenue and Sherrett Street. Since then, more than a dozen have been installed from Oregon City to Gresham and across Portland. Many of them, including Lake Oswego’s, are registered with the Wisconsin-based nonprofit Little Free Library."

    ReplyDelete