Friday, June 21, 2013

XDog - Again (sigh)

I've been avoiding this post because it makes me whimper when I think about the event.  Number twenty-one in the 50@50 Project was put on by my favorite group of masochists, XDog Events.  The Mt. Hood Scramble is billed as 'The Grandfather of Filth', although one could argue that the 'Dirty Du' or 'Havoc at the Hideout' are perhaps grimier, muddier events.  And in the Mt. Hood Scramble racers are afforded the opportunity to 'rinse off' frequently throughout the race, through the half dozen or so stream crossings that are part of the course.

I considered simply cutting and pasting the write up for Havoc at the Hideout, doing a 'find and replace' for the name of the event; geographic references (replacing 'holler' with 'mountain', for example).  I could have added in a few lines about stream crossings and snow patches and - tada! - a post is born.  But that would be cheating and if I can finish these events, I suppose I can write 'em up.

Camera Crew and I were nervous and excited about this one.  Other than sore butts from the Petal Pedal the day before, we felt no other symptoms or soreness.  We hit the road about 8 and it was a nice drive up the mountain.  It was pretty cloudy in town, even looking like it could rain.  But as we had hoped, the east side of Mt. Hood, along Highway 35, was gorgeous.  Sunny blue skies, a few white clouds, mild temps.  A great day to break an ankle.  

We had done this event once (maybe twice - we couldn't recall for sure) and so knew what we were getting into, which is a blessing and curse.  Remember, XDog changes the course a little each year and it all depends on the mood of those that set it up the day before.  When we arrived, the crowd was already thumping and excitement was in the air.  We got our bib numbers and I saw Kevin, the alpha dog of XDog Events.  I asked him how the course was looking.  His response:  "It's about 6.2 miles but will feel like every bit of 7."  Thanks, Kevin.  Thanks a lot.

A friend of mine, Amy, was there and looked excited, anxious and scared to death, all at the same time.  I was having beers with her a few months back and we were talking about the 50@50 Project, so I mentioned this event.  She had enough beer that she signed up for it that night, I think, without taking advantage of the 'it's XDog so maybe I should sleep on it' option.  To her credit, she was there and ready to roll.  And she even suckered talked a friend in to joining her.  

I've said it before - these types of events are kinda nuts but that's what makes them so special.  The fact that only 310 people, in ALL of the Portland metro area, were out this morning to participate in this makes those folks unique.  To be one of them is indeed awesome.  The crowd is fantastic, too - fun, friendly and supportive.  There are die-hard warriors who look like they just walked out of boot camp.  And there are those (like me) who look like they just walked out of Krispy Kreme.  Before, during and after the race everyone is encouraging and has a great time.  Truly wonderful.

We again had the pleasure of the conch shell sendoff and it was go time!  We started the gradual climb uphill and then had to climb what was pretty much a wall.  This was a perfect example of the 'scramble' part of the Mt. Hood Scramble.  Up the loose sand, silt and gravel to the top, trying to get a toe hold wherever possible.  Once we made it to the top, shoes full of the aforementioned sand and rocks, the course was a nice little trot along the ridge before we bombed down a steep hill right into an ankle deep bog.  

There are several things I love about this event:  XDog is kind enough to provide the opportunity to rinse the sand and grit from our shoes by sending us across the streams several times. The other treat of this course is that the first half-ish takes you in a loop up the mountain, then right back by the finish area.  You can see the beer, your car, the party, the beer - and yet you're only half way done and still have to head the other direction for the other 3+ miles.  Yippee.

Anyway, back to the first loop... after the bog, with muddy, sand and rock-filled shoes we got to the first stream crossing. It's knee to thigh deep, depending on where you step.  And it's snow melt so it's, um, cold.  The route took us along the river for the most part, where it's tough to run much.  There are plenty of river rocks but they sit in silt, sand and soft dirt so you really can't run rock to rock because they shift.  We just picked our way along, crossed the stream a few more times, then scrambled up a short hillside to an actual path!!  It didn't last long, though.  The pink ribbon and orange flags that mark the course soon took us through the brush, under and over dead falls and even through some snow.  All in all, the first half isn't too bad.

We hit the halfway point and refilled water bottles at 'Temptation Station' where, along with water, they also have beers poured and ready, just calling your name.  I refrained but Camera Crew chugged a cup.  Then we dropped down from the party to the river rock.  The second loop is largely along the water and it's a lot of rocks and sand.  Difficult to run on for sure.  There were a few stretches where we could actually run, which felt good.  I was just trying not to roll an ankle or break anything important.  After a while, we were sent into the thicket, not on trails but through the brush, branches and trees.  Somehow, someway XDog found a stretch of bogwater that smelled horrible.  It was a deep brown and about knee deep.  More of that shoe-sucking mud.  Looking down this old stinky creek bed and, yep, pink ribbon all the way down.  They sent us right down the middle of it.  Niiiice.

More ups and downs in the back half as we scrambled down rock and scree, crossed the creek and then clamored up the other side.  Many times.  My hips were killing me by about 5 miles in.  Regular steps were fine but I was struggling to lift my legs up high enough on some of the big steps, both up and down.  Very frustrating and really slowed us down.  CC and I tend to take turns pulling us along.  In this event, I led for the first 4 miles or so.  Then as my hips started aching to beat the band, Camera Crew took the lead and kept me moving forward.  We're good together like that, in most things we do.

Once we spied the bridge, I knew we were almost done.  Under Highway 35, a little further along the rocky stream, one more water crossing for good measure, then a scramble up the hill to the finish line.  I told the volunteer to let Kevin know he was going to pay for my hip replacement surgery.  I was beat.  Camera Crew was grinning from ear to ear.

We got beers and sat in the parking lot for the awards ceremony and raffle drawings.  I looked up and saw Amy and her friend, Keven, walking down from the finish.  She lived - I knew she would.  More importantly, she finished.

After hanging out for a bit, we walked to the car.  Honestly, I was feeling a little nauseous and it wasn't until we got on the road that I felt better.  But first we stretched a little then loaded up and headed for home.  I think the cool air blowing through the car and eating about half a bag of potato chips did the trick.  Every time I looked at Camera Crew she was smiling.  Except when she dozed off.  She's awesome!

The Mt. Hood Scramble was epic!





2 comments:

  1. It was a very small cup of beer at Temptation Station.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have got to do one of those. It sounds awesome! Nice job, again, you two!

    ReplyDelete