Monday, June 17, 2013

The 50@50 Project - Controversy!!

David:  It seems we have a bit of a controversy here at the ol' project.  You see, while I was away doing CHARITABLE WORK in a developing country, Camera Crew went ahead and snuck in an event and NOW all of a sudden when I talk about Event 19 or Event 20, she pipes up with "Um, it's actually Event 20 and Event 21."  So then I have to...

Camera Crew:  Once upon a time, Dave decided to go to a concert in Seattle.  WITHOUT ME.  And he decided to do an event.  WITHOUT ME.  And once I got over that insult, we agreed I should do a different event to make up for it.  So, you see, this was all agreed upon ahead of time.  It's certainly not my fault Mr. 50@50 wasn't here at the time to discuss it.

D:  Well, okay - yes, I am going to see Sir Paul McCartney at Safeco Field in Seattle.  And, yes, I signed up to do a 5k event that was being held the morning after the show BUT I did tell CC about these two things.  And, um,... er... and I was in Central America working and the 5k was convenient and the... the.. um...

CC:  Yes, the 5k I did was very convenient.  So, on to that story.  It was a Sunday morning, partly cloudy in Northwest Portland.  I pulled on my running clothes, went out to the car, and drove East.  I parked off of 92nd near the North end of Lents Park and went to sign in for the Portland Parks and Rec $5 5k.  Yes, just $5 for a 5k run complete with a bib number.  www.5dollar5k.com   

D:  Now, wait a minute!  You can't write about this 'event'.  At least you were kind enough to NOT announce it as 'Event suchandsuch in the 50@50 Project'.  Just because my Seattle event was moved and I can't attend doesn't mean you should get ahead of me, right?

CC: Well ... I didn't know that at the time.  And that sounds like it's not an MP (my problem), but rather a YP (your problem).  So, back to Event 20 in the 50@50 project.  (Yup, thanks for reminding me.)  It was pretty cloudy over in SE Portland, but the crowd was friendly and the running conditions excellent.  After watching the little kids race a surprisingly long lap around the inside loop of the park, it was time for the main event.

D:  And by 'main event', she is referring to this unofficial event, this 5k thingy that probably was just thrown together at the last minute.  Even though she calls it Event 20, it really probably doesn't actually count toward the total.  I'll grant you that my event got cancelled and I suppose one could argue that Camera Crew couldn't have known that when she signed up for this one and that she was only trying to stay even with my event total...
Crap.

CC:  Thank you for eloquently arguing my point.  Event 20 consisted of three laps around Lents Park, which included a bit of a hill on the far side of the park each lap.  I had a great run, turned in a respectable time, and even earned a ribbon for participating, which adorns the wall along with my bib number.  I'm pretty sure that makes it official!

D:  I wasn't arguing your point, I was... okay, wait a second.  (pause)  I reread my bit and, yeah, it comes across as supportive of your claim that you did this 'Event 20'.  Aw, crap - whatever - just finish the post and we'll work the count out somehow down the line.

CC:  It was a great event.  Cheap - hard to beat $5.  Friendly - much lower key crowd than spendier, fancier events.  More families and inexperienced runners, more focus on fitness and community.  What a great way to celebrate Lents Park.  (Although, true to the reputation of the neighborhood, during the awards ceremony and raffle drawing there was a cop car with its lights on down a side street across from the park.)  So, Event 20 in the books, at least for 50% of the 50@50 project.  Now time to find the main man his own event so we can get back on the same number.

D:  Congrats (begrudgingly) on your successful event, CC!  Videos forthcoming!

No comments:

Post a Comment