Saturday, June 22, 2013

Three Down, One To Go

We are finally home from our third 5k of the weekend - in fact, the third one in 24 hours - and I am not too proud to admit that I am feeling pretty wiped out.  The legs are, anyway.  Living in a third floor walk up was a cruel reminder of just how tired the legs are feeling!  The hardest part of it all was having to get ready and leave the comfort of home.  The distance is easy enough.  But having run last night and again this morning, the overwhelming feeling was to stay home and prep for the ride tomorrow.  But, see, this is why I tell you about our plans, so that I'm committed to you and so you can hold me to it.  Keeps me honest and all that.

Thus, we drove out to Tigard this evening to do the Twilight Run 5k, a race that is part of the Festival of Balloons.  It was Event 24 in the 50@50 Project, which is still mind boggling to me.  Twenty-four!  I can't help but feel proud of myself and Camera Crew for this accomplishment.  Pretty amazing stuff.  Thank you to all those who love and support us in this venture.  Knowing that people are following along is a huge motivation.

We weren't sure what to expect for traffic, parking, finding the race start so we left the house about 5; race start was 7 PM.  As it turned out, getting there was quick and easy.  So was parking and finding check-in for the race.  It was all very well organized.  With time to kill, we decided to go hot air balloon hunting.  It was, after all, the Festival of Them.  We walked to one end of the park.  No balloons.  We walked around to the soccer fields.  Nothing.  We wandered into the carnival area.  Nary a balloon in sight.  We felt a little short changed, to be sure.

The search did manage to kill the requisite amount of time, so we wandered back to the start area and waited for our race to begin.  They ran a one mile kids race first, with the winner coming in at just under 8 minutes.  He looked to be about seven years old.  The announcer called for all us 5k'ers to line up by estimated finish time.  Quite a large crowd! I was impressed with the turnout.  Because the route runs on park paths, they released runners in small groups of about a dozen, this to control the congestion on the narrow paths.  Smart idea although I wasted time pre-race sharpening my elbows.  We were off!  There were a couple of small hills and a stretch in the  middle that was right in the setting sun.  On a warm night this made it feel even toastier.  Fortunately, a lot of the course went through the trees so there was some shade.  

I went out a little too fast again, realized this, and slowed up a little.  I can tell ya that I felt every bit of the previous two runs, especially in my quads and ankles.  Just plain sore.  However, I am always amazed at being able to dig deep and grab a little ooomph at the finish.  I ran the last mile with a group of 7-8 others and when we got within earshot of the finish line, well, apparently everyone decided to sprint to the end.  I couldn't feel left out so mustered the energy to keep up with them.  Yoinks.  Gonna feel that in the morning.

As difficult as it was to get motivated to leave the house and as sore I felt, I also felt pretty damn fantastic about finishing three races in 24 hours.  I was still smiling as CC crossed the line.  What a weekend - and it isn't even done yet.

We got some water and walked around a bit.  Grabbed a little food, then headed for the carnival.  For some strange reason a corn dog sounded pretty darn fantastic, so I got one.  Camera Crew was feeling a little unsteady, so she passed on this wondrous delight.  For a minute, anyway.  She had a nibble of mine, at which time she immediately perked up and got one for herself.

We walked around a little more and then - we saw them!!!  They were inflating the balloons!!  We crossed through the midway and watched them inflate several hot air balloons, which I find fascinating.  I think it's the primitive nature of this mode of flight.  A few years back, we went hot air ballooning and it was an amazing experience.  It's so quiet, except when they fire the burner, of course.  We wanted to stay and take it all in.  Having finally seen balloons and knowing we have a 35 mile bike ride in the morning, we reluctantly headed for home.

We're going to sleep well tonight! 

No comments:

Post a Comment