Saturday, January 18, 2014

Registering for Event 50

If memory serves me, I believe we registered for Events One through Forty-nine in the 50@50 Project via the innerwebs.  Now, don't quote me on that (I'm old) but I'm pretty sure that's the case.  Oh, wait - there were 2-3 events we registered on the day of the race.  Online registration rocks.  You can commit to stupid stuff from the comfort and safety of your couch where, say, a 5k obstacle course mud run that's three months away sounds like a damn good time!

Since we are now living in Central America, currently in the San Jose area of Costa Rica, we needed to find a race prior to my 51st birthday on 21 January.  We needed to complete the Project within the one year goal we set.  After scouring the net for races down here, we found this run to do as Event 50.  As it turns out, the proceeds from this race go toward providing school supplies for children who can't afford them.  Kind of cool given our new line of work.

The race offered online registration but we thought we'd go to one of the sponsor stores to register in person.  We picked the Brooks store in the suburb of Heredia.  This was a 'two birds, one stone' decision - we needed to register and Heredia was one of the 'burbs we wanted to explore.

So... to the bus!!


Once we got to downtown San Jose, we had to make our way several blocks to the other bus stop that runs the San Jose-Heredia line.  Although we can get around pretty well now, we still haven't quite figured out which bus companies cover which areas in which directions.  But that would never stop us!



We made it to Heredia and wandered around a bit.  We had lunch at a Chinese restaurant, because it sounded good.  And it was.  Camera Crew had a fried rice dish and I had woba de pollo, which is... I still don't know exactly - but it was very tasty.

We walked through the parque central, which was filled with people enjoying all sorts of activities.  We visited the Iglesia de Immaculada Concepción, which was built in 1797 and is still used today.  Gorgeous on the inside!  We saw El Fortin, which is the last remaining guard tower left from a fortress from 1867.  And, finally, we walked across town to the mall where the Brooks store was located.

And we done got ourselves registered for EVENT 50!!!!



In the video, the store manager saw us filming and walked over to ask if he could help - you'll see us nod to him.  

I have mixed emotions about finishing this whole thing.  When I first proposed this crazy scheme to my wife, she didn't think it was even possible.  I had resigned myself to the fact that she was right.  Then she looked at race calendars and started planning out a strategy which, as it turned out, had us way ahead of schedule most of the year.  This year has been a huge accomplishment, for me personally and for us.

It was an emotional year, full of all kinds of life changes - some expected, some not.  But we got it done.  And after Event 50 (tomorrow) I'll recap the race, write it up like always.  Then I'll post some facts and figures from the year.  And I'll wrap it all up with my reflections on the year - highs, lows, memorable moments, etc.

To think that it's all coming to a close is emotional in itself!

More later! 


No comments:

Post a Comment