Monday, January 14, 2013

The Start of Something... Interesting

Welcome!

My name is David.  I live in beautiful Portland, OR.  I turn 50 years old in... 7 days.  January 21st.  Yep.  The big 5-0.

Yoinks! 

But really, I don't look at this as a 'big deal' or depressing or anything like that.  In fact, I think it's pretty damn cool.  Looking back at my life, I enjoy recognizing, reliving how and where I've grown and evolved over the years.  Like all of us, I've made mistakes. But I like to think I've learned from them, or most of them anyway.  In fact, I can point to different times within my (almost) 50 years that were genuine milestones - moments, events, decisions that truly changed the course of my life.  More on that later, as time goes on.

I am what you might call a Weekend Warrior, in that I like to stay active by participating in runs, rides, and various other athletic endeavours.  Mostly, I do pretty well - NOT as in 'take home a medal or trophy' well.  More like 'got through it without pulling my hammy or falling down' well.  You see, it's only after these events that I realize I probably should have trained a little harder.  I usually don't hurt myself (badly) - unless injury to pride and dignity count.  Going into a race, I've pretty much accepted the fact that I ain't gonna win.  Taking part and maintaining a modicum of 'in shape-ness' are what it's about.  Which is the reason for this diary. 

To celebrate my birthday, I've set a goal to participate in fifty races between my 50th and 51st birthdays.  Hence the name of my blog:  the 50@50 Project.
Now, to be fair and honest (which I am, thankyouverymuch) I will state that I am participating in my first race this Sunday, January 20th - the day BEFORE my actual birthday.  Deal with it.  The first of fifty events is the 8k White River Snowshoe Race, put on by X Dog Events.  Yes, a 5 mile run on snowshoes.  Here is the link:  http://www.xdogevents.com/whiteriverss.php 

My wife and I took up snowshoeing as a way to keep active during the cold rainy months of winter in the Pacific Northwest.  We have this perfectly good mountain pretty close to us, so thought this would be a good way to keep moving.  Now, when I say 'took up snowshoeing' I mean we've been snowshoeing a grand total of four times - and, yes, we have an 8k race 6 days from now.  Remember what I said about lack of training prior to these crazy adventures?  To our credit, we went up this past Saturday and knocked out 6+ miles - so there!

Snowshoeing is easy, actually.  "If you can walk, you can snowshoe".  This is true.  It's not too different - like wearing clown shoes, only much colder.  Although I suppose clowns in Iceland would be used to it.  Hmmmm...

Anyhoo, my goal for this blog is to keep you updated on my project - training, events, pictures, results, anecdotes, etc.  I'll get a schedule together and add events as I register.  This serves two purposes - the commitment to you will make sure I continue to post; and telling you about upcoming events makes it less likely I'll back out of them!

Wish me luck!



3 comments:

  1. Bonne Route!
    Which I have learned from context means a wish for good fortune on the road

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying again to comment. Good luck. Hope to hear soon how today went.

    ReplyDelete