Saturday, January 19, 2013

Event #1 tomorrow!

Well, tomorrow is the big day - Event #1 in the 50 at 50 Project.  The White River 8k, put on by X Dog Events. 

Five miles on snowshoes tomorrow; turn 50 the next day.  Can I get a 'woohoo'!!

FYI - If you've read my posts and tried to comment, it may not have gone through.  I tweaked the settings so it should work now.  I appreciate the comments and the support!  Keep it coming!

Race preparation day!  My wife and I have gone to the store for race snacks - cuz 'snacks is important', as we like to say.  One uses a lot of energy snowshoeing, more than you would if you went for a run, say.  It's more work and your body works harder to regulate temperature.  When I get going, I work up a good sweat but as soon as I stop it's damn cold damn quick.

I wear Atlas brand snowshoes, the 825 Trail model.  I like them and they do the trick on established trails and moderate fresh snow.  If we ever get into any serious back country treks, I would definitely get a bigger snowshoe for more loft.  More surface area equals less sinking into deep snow. 

I carry trekking poles, collapsible ones.  If I'm on flat or rolling terrain, I don't use them.  But going down steep hills the poles help maintain control.  Trudging up hills, it's good to be able to push off with the upper body.  In deep, fresh snow it's nice to kinda poke and prod before taking the next step when I'm not sure what the terrain is like underneath.

The CamelBak Mule is great - I can carry more water than I need, plus the aforementioned snacks with room to spare for layers.  Clothing is the hardest part for me.  I always have to think about how warm I'll be when I get moving so I don't overdress or carry too much.  Gloves, hat, ear warmer, gaiters, Leatherman, first aid kit - check.

So, tonight I'll double check all gear, pack some clothes into my duffel, fill the CamelBak and load snacks.

Oh, and fill my flask.  Probably bourbon, just a sip at the finish line to celebrate.

My quest starts tomorrow.  I have a lot of changes ahead in the coming months - more on that later.  This goal of mine - the 50 at 50 - will help to keep me focused and, in a good way, distracted.

Wish for me two things - good luck in the race and a happy birthday!

3 comments:

  1. Go David go! Glad you guys so prepared:) 1 down and 49 to go! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Signed, big sister

    ReplyDelete
  3. Need to hear about after race.....DETAILS,

    ReplyDelete