Tuesday, July 16, 2013

...Our Next Event...

...the Deschutes Dash 5k.  This one was another milestone of sorts - Event 30 in the 50@50 Project.  Boy, these events are just flyin' by, aren't they?!

The Deschutes Dash weekend is a series of events held over two days.  As I said in the previous post, they have a bunch of different races at a bunch of different distances, from hardcore Olympic distance triathlons to a kids Splash Dash with water obstacles.  Since we had done the the big ride yesterday we opted for a nice little 5k run.  I was tempted to try the duathlon but Camera Crew talked me down from the ledge.  Thank goodness.

Camera Crew made the point that, in a way, we were doing a duathlon over the weekend, just with a realllllly long transition in between the ride and the run.  We decided not to go down this path since a duathlon would count as only one event in the project.  But I love the 'outside the box' thinking.

When we arrived at Bend's Old Mill District and found a place to park (a little exasperating!), the sprint distance triathetes were already in the water.  This race/distance is something I want to try some day.  The Deschutes Dash version was made up of an 800 yard downstream swim in the river, a 12 mile bike ride and a 5k run.  I love swimming but that leg would be the trickiest part of this for me because A] I don't have the opportunity to get in the water that often and B] I don't think they make wetsuits in my size.  Haha!  Actually, they do but it's all about the self-deprecation, folks! 

We watched the swimmers for a bit then cheered them on while they came out of the water to transition to their bikes.  Some of the racers were darn quick at this; others not so much.  This sprint distance is kind of like a testing ground for those wanting to 'try a tri', to see if it's something they want to pursue.  It would certainly be the level I would do if/when I ever attempt this.  

A few of the bikers even made it back and started their run just before we were sent off on our 5k.  I have to say that for everything going on all at once, our race started right on time.  Very well organized event overall. 

Our route took us mostly along the Deschutes River through the Les Schwab Amphitheater grounds, across a bridge, under a very low bridge right along the waters edge, and was a mix of paved trail, sidewalk, dirt trails, gravel trails.  It was an all-terrain run.  Back along the other side of the river, over another bridge, then back to the finish line!!  I can't speak for Camera Crew but I will admit that I felt every one of the bike miles from the day before, so never really fell into a good running rhythm.  Hips ached and my quads hurt on even the slightest little hill.  But, meh, it was only 3 miles.  I made it through and CC was literally right behind me.  Another 10 yards and she woulda caught me!

Facing the ride back to Portland, we decided not to hang out at the race and went back to the hotel to shower and pack.  However, being ones who never want to miss an opportunity for brunch, we went in search of food prior to leaving town.  We were very successful in that we found the Victorian Cafe.  Awesome place for any number of reasons, not the least of which was the bar they have outside in the parking lot.  They make mimosas and bloody mary's for those waiting for a table.  Did I tell you they were awesome?  After a reasonable wait, we were seated inside and enjoyed our food immensely.  Me:  biscuits and gravy; CC: pulled pork eggs benedict.  Most excellent!
www.victoriancafebend.com  

So that was Bend.  Any questions?  No?  Okay, then - class dismissed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment